Valdezate, is a medium-sized village of the province of Burgos. It has been considered as a town since midway through the XVII century because the Count of Miranda bought the title. According to Alfredo San José, the location, dependent on the Count, could last until the first third of the XIX century, not up to the XX century, when Valdezate made its debut as a free town.
In the census that was carried out in 1591 the village was known as Villaescusa (meaning excuse town in English), belonging to Roa. It was home to 1,569 inhabitants, and it got its name because it is said that, in the old town, everybody made excuses in order to not pay taxes.
Villalba, the white town, is located to the northwest of Aranda de Duero. Like many villages in the Ribera del Duero region, it originated in the X century, after the occupation of the left-hand side of the River Duero. It had its own independent life until nearby Aranda became the most important town in the diocese of Osma.
Villalbilla de Gumiel, a village set on top of a hill in the budding Ribera del Duero, was found documented in the records of the monastery of San Pedro de Arlanza, in the monastery of San Pedro de Gumiel and in the diocese of Osma.
The village’s origin is not exactly known, but it is cited in a document of the monastery of La Vid in 1196. Its real name was Villanueva la Cardosa. It was most likely founded or repopulated during the times of the Count Fernán González, in the Reconquista (“reconquest”).
This village was founded during the Reconquista (“reconquest”) by a Visigoth called Théudila, belonging to the Ribera del Duero region and the sub-region of the Valle del Esgueva. There are lands belonging to the Muñoz y Mazón Winery, owners of the Azuel wines.
The village is based on the cultivation of the grapevine and beetroot, it has three holiday cottages and the Cooperativa San Andrés Winery, which distributes different varieties of ‘Vegazar’ wine: white, rosé, young, oak and ageing.
A curious fact is that alphabetically it is the last municipality in Spain. Zuzones is located in the far south of the Burgos province. There, Roman remains were discovered, which enable us to know the burial places of important towns.