This village was a crossroads which had the old Valladolid-Ariza railroad line, serving as a resting place for people travelling through and goods were also carried through on this line. The village is located merely 8 Km from Roa.

The village is located 16 Km from Aranda de Duero, it has the first museum of Spain related to aromas and odours.

An interesting village of the region, its gastronomy and important wineries that produce D.O. Ribera del Duero wine stand out:

Terradillos de Esgueva was mentioned in the ‘cartulary’ of San Pedro del Arlanza on the 27th of April 1054. According to the Book of the Behetrías, the village belonged to the Lordship of San Pedro in the XV century.

Established in the shadow of its own tower (the Lords of Vizcaya, Gonzalo Guzmán and Don Beltrán de la Cueva, were its owners), it reminds us of majestic periods in the configuration of Castile and León.

Tórtoles de Esgueva has always belonged within the jurisdiction of Abadesa del Monasterio de Santa María la Real. It is found within the area, next to the copious springs that back in the day served to water the vegetable gardens.

The name of the village come from the medieval period and derives from the word “Toba”, whitish limestone land that is abundant in the area. The lago (lake), for its part, disappeared but it conserves a great number of natural springs, including during drier seasons.

The village declared of Heritage Cultural Interest in July 2008 and this village was first documented in the VII century BC, with the first Celtic migrations. It has interesting remains from Roman civilization and caves that were surely inhabited during the Paleolithic and Neoclassic periods.

This village belongs to the municipality of Pedrosa de Duero. The brotherhoods of la Vera Cruz and la Asunción belong to this village and have been documented since 1801 and 1628, respectively.

The first document of this village dates back to 1037, a manuscript from the epoch of Fernando I of Castile. The Templars were possibly the builders of the Gothic part of the church of Valdeande, and in it they left engravings of their three symbols: the mother goddess, the Holy Grail and the Templar Cross.

Pages