Located 15 Km from Aranda de Duero, it is known for its cultural heritage: the chapel of la Virgen de la Cueva, the church of San Juan Bautista, the bridge that crosses the River Riaza, the electricity factory and the mills.

The first documented detailsof this place are known via the documentation of the monastery San Pedro de Arlanza, since it received some property in Hontoria in 1044.

With little more than 200 inhabitants and almost 100 Km form Burgos, but very close to Aranda de Duero, one can find the small township of Hoyales de Roa.

In the XIX century it was categorized as one of the ‘independent villages’ of the judicial district of Aranda de Duero and in 1981 is ceased to exist as a township. However, a beautiful historical and artistic heritage remains.

Located on the banks of the River Duero, ‘La Cueva de Roa’- ‘The Cave of Roa’-, despite its name, is not home to a single cave.

The town La Horra is located 76 Km from the city of Burgos and has a population of 400. However, one shouldn’t come to hasty conclusions; its archeological documentation dates back to the Bronze Age and its first written references date back to 1143.

La Sequera de Haza as its own name indicates is connected to Tierra de Aza. It is located at 21 Km from Aranda de Duero; in the Corcos Moorland remains from the Iron Age have been found, proving that human settlements were present there during the prehistory.

La Vid is the main borough of the La Vid y Barrios municipal area. It is located 19 Km from Aranda de Duero, together with the monastery of Santa Maria La Vid, emblem of the village.

Located at 90 Km from the city of Burgos, in the south, and at 80 Km from Valladolid, its parish temple that depends on Roa and is dedicated to Nuestra Señora de la Asunción stands out. Its villagers live off farming a great quantity of cereals, beetroot and vines (accredited to the local wineries).

There have been people permanently living in this village since the XII century, it began as a Roman village. From 1130 until 1508 it was dependent on the monastery of San Pedro de Gumiel de Izán and in the XVI century it began to form part of the lordship of the Count of Miranda.

Pages